Language and speech is the main mode of social interaction and communication. People now do not ignore speech defects; rather they want to correct them. Audiology and Speech Therapy is one of the lesser known fields in india, but given the rising awareness about learning disabilities and their close connection with speech and audio problems, this field is slowly gaining recognition.
Speech Therapy is a promising career option for those interested in paramedical sciences.
Speech language pathologists and audiologists are concerned with the prevention, identification and rehabilitation of children and adults with communication disorders and hearing impairment. As these professionals help people make their lives more productive and richer by improving people's communication skills their career is well respected and gives an opportunity to make a difference in other people's life.
SPEECH THERAPIST V/S AUDIOLOGIST
- Speech impairment includes speech difficulties and vocal dysphonia.
- While hearing impairment is full or partial disabilityand audiologists are concerned with the prevention, identification and rehabilitation of children and adults with communication disorders and hearing impairment.
- Speech language pathology and audiology are distinct disciplines, but are so interrelated that to be fully competent in either, one should be familiar with both.
- Both deal with speech, language and hearing impairments that disrupt the ability of the sufferer to communicate and interact in various social situation.
SKILLS REQUIRED TO BE A SPEECH THERAPIST -
While looking for a job, we search about the responsibilities, scope, qualification etc required for a particular. But we often forget the most important factors i.e career interest, Aptitude and personality, needed to be considered, while applying for a job.
Some of the basic aptitude, personality and interest required to succeed in this career are-
THINK YOU POSSES THE ABOVE QUALITIES?
CLICK HERE-> TO FIND OUT HOW MUCH YOU KNOW YOURSELF AND DISCOVER YOUR HIDDEN ABILITIES
-Under the umbrella of paramedical courses, speech therapists and audiologists require special training.
-Practical training in both treating and handling people, is a must.
-As part of your course, you will receive instructions on various speech and hearing impairments that exist.
-Treatment systems and methods are also taught.
TOP COLLEGES OFFERING/UP/PG/OTHER COURSES IN SPEECH/ LANGUAGE THERAPY
- Institute of Speech and Hearing, Bangalore
- All-India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- All India Institute of Speech and Hearing (AIISH), Mysore
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
- Manipal College of Allied Health Sciences (MCOAHS) Karnataka
- Indian Institute of Health Education and Research, Patna
- MERF Institute of Speech and Hearing, Chennai.
There are ample scopes for Speech Therapists in-
- government/private hospitals,
- government health department
- health care centres/ NGOs working for disabled,
- community care centres,
- rehabilitation centers,
- centre for disabled,
- nursing care facilities
- public or private schools, universities and government agencies as teacher.
- Besides, speech pathologists can also opt for private practices.
- Some highly qualified can choose research career in research labs or teaching career in medical/para-medical colleges.
The job titles for professionals working in this field include-
-Sign Language Interpreter
-Speech Pathologist etc.
- A speech/language therapist in government hospital gets a starting salary of Rs 8,000-10,000 per month.
- With 4-5 years of experiences it can well go up to Rs 20,000-25,000 per month.
- Private hospitals offer better salaries and benefits. Private practitioners in speech/language therapy have handsome earnings which may vary at times.
To keep exploring, head on to our page on career banks and blogs on different careers, entrance exams, courses, college, jobs etc.