Statistics is basically a branch of studies which deals deals with the collection, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of numerical data. This collected data is verified, interpreted and used to solve problems in various fields ranging from government offices to sports events. Statistician make use of various methods like questionnaires, surveys etc to find solution to real life situations like insurance policies, labours laws, project planning etc It is also useful in business world for competitor analysis.
- Designing data acquisition trials
- Analysing trends,
- Applying statistical methodology to complex data,
- Acting in a consultancy capacity,
- Designing and implementing data gathering
- management computer systems and software,
- Supervising junior statistical staff,
- Assessing results,
- Make use of statistics to make forecasts and to provide projected figures,
- Presenting information in a variety of formats,
- Explaining complex information to people who may not be specialists,
- Liaising with colleagues,
- Attending meetings
The governments of countries around the world are constantly researching to improve its economic development. Statistical data and techniques of statistical analysis are immensely useful in solving economical problems such as wages, price, time series analysis, demand analysis. It is an irreplacable tool of production control. Business executives are relying more and more on statistical techniques for studying the preferrence of the customers.
Statistics are useful to banker, insurance companies, social workers, labour unions, trade associations, chambers and to the politicians.
WHAT QUALITIES ARE REQUIRED ?
While looking for a job, we search about the responsibilities, scope, qualification etc required for a particular. But we often forget the most important factors i.e career interest, Aptitude and personality, needed to be considered, while applying for a job.
Some of the basic aptitude, personality and interest required to succeed in this career are-
THINK YOU POSSES THE ABOVE QUALITIES?
Many institutes conduct their own entrance exam for admission in master/ post graduation course.
There is also Diploma in statistics & Certificate in Statistical Methods and Applications available.
Indian Statistical Institute- New Delhi
Indian Statistical Institute- Bangalore
Indian Statistical Institute- Kolkatta
Xavier’s College- Ahmedabad
University of Delhi- New Delhi
Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya (School of Statistics)- Indore
Aligarh Muslim University (Department of Statistics and Operations Research)- Aligarh.
- There are job opportunities available for statistician in India and as well as in abroad.
- After completing your degree in statistics, your can also apply for the Civil Services, Indian Statistical Services & Indian Economic Services exams.
- As Statistician you are more likely to get jobs in following sectors-
- computer science
- health sciences
- Content Analyst
- Statistic Trainer
- Data Scientist
- Consultant Biostatistician
“A Statistician earns a very handsome salary package in India and abroad.”
In India, the average salary of a statistician can be expected between Rs. 2.5 to 3.5 lacs per year. After gaining the sufficient experience in this field you can earn more than Rs. 4.5 lacs per year.
In the United States, you can easily earn an average salary of $70 k annually. Candidates with good experience and master degree in this field can earn a awarding salary packages.